Critique My Kit

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,129
Like?
Don't buy.....
In reply to Weathered, May 4, 2012

My suggestion is to get two lenses to begin with, I don't care which ones, everything you have named is good and will work well. You might want to consider the Sigma 50mm f1.4 over the Canon, but its specialty is low light and great bokeh, if you don't need these options, stick with the Canon to save money.

Having too many lenses early on in the game hinders not accelerating learning. If you are moving to your first full frame, get a feel for the focal lengths and use your two lenses constantly; then after you are weathered with experience, then consider what you are going to get.

I own both cropped and full sensor (5D 2) and I can tell you a 50mm on a cropped sensor is a different beast than on full frame. I forgot this fact and took my Sigma 50 out shooting on my Xsi (450D) and it was too long, I was used to using the 50 on my 5D 2.

I also second the Sigma 150, I have the non-OS version and love the lens; it has a better working distance than the 100mm. If you are used to using a 100 macro on a crop sensor, you have really been using the equivalent of a 160mm lens, more like a Sigma 150 on a full frame.

So you can see, you might be better off to curb your enthusiasm and use your 5D 2 and a couple of lens before you make your next purchases.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow