Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,766
Like?
Re: understanding paper weights
In reply to Hugowolf, May 4, 2012

Hugowolf wrote:

Debby Peters wrote:

I am printing with the Epson 1430 and the specs are as follows .003 to .004 inch or .08 to .1 1mm thickness. Weight 17lb to 24lb or 64 g/m to 90 g/m

So i had an older box of Red River Premium Polar Satin at 66lb. Prints beautifully.

I do not understand...can someone please educate me or redirect to a learning site?
What is the max weight I can use....etc.

The printer’s specified ‘weights’ are generalized. To start with, it isn’t really weight, but weight per unit area.

Of course, how else would yo specify it for multiple sixes of paper?

And it is difficult for them specify a maximum, because it really depends on the thickness of the paper and it flex.

uhm, it's the different thicknesses that you are defining

There are inkjet coated metal sheets that are in the 1 mm range, but your printer will not feed them because of their stiffness. There are also art papers out there that are less dense than 90 g/m², but will be too thick for your printer to handle.

Plastic coated (called resin coated) photo papers are much thinner for their ‘weight’ per unit are than art papers. Even within art papers, cold pressed papers will be much thicker than their hot pressed equivalents at the same weight per unit area.

I think you are better thinking that your printer will accept light and medium weight papers, but will really struggle with heavier (thicker) stock. Red River doesn’t sell anything that would be considered heavy paper. And for the smaller sheets that the 1430 takes, you really don’t need anything ‘heavier’.

It is a pity that RR are using pound bias weights, when everyone else is using g/m²; it would still be confusing, but not quite as much.

Today I was printing on two papers from the same manufacturer, Canson-Infinity. Both papers, Rag Photographique and Montval Aquarelle, are 310 g/m², but the Montval is much thicker and appears to be ‘heavier’ in the hand than the hot pressed Rag.

You can compare the g/m² of two papers of the same type, say watercolor papers, but trying to use the same criterion to compare an RC paper with a fine art paper doesn’t work.

Rather than getting into the technical details, why don’t you order a sample pack from either Hahnemühle, Canson-Infinity, or Epson, and compare the papers with those from RR for ‘weight’ and thickness.

Brian A

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow