Sigma 30 F1.4 or Canon 28 F1.8 [photo request] - show me!

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,985Gear list
Like?
Re: [photofan1] did Sigma makes your 50d a Grab-n-go camera?
In reply to 007peter, May 4, 2012

007peter wrote:

Great photo [photofan1986] love to see even more photo. I have a question for you.

• Do you carry your DSLR more with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4?

• does its small size makes you want to carry your heavy 50d more often?

There is nothing like unsolicited advice, so this is just my take on the matter:

I take two kinds of photographs: portraits in my home studio (I convert my living room into a studio when needed) and social/holiday snaps.

For out-of-studio, I try to balance portability and IQ, because I subscribe to the dogma, that the best camera is the one you have with you. I chose the Canon PowerShot S100 for the slightly lager sensor, the 24 mm equivalent and RAW capability. The latter enables me to correct for some of the flaws of the lens in PP.

For studio work (which isn't really work, but fun :-)) I have an EOS 550D with a number of lenses (35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8, 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS and 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM). It may seem strange I bought the 15-85, but I thought I would use it outside the "studio" more than I actually do. Still it's a versatile and useful lens I am glad to own.

I decided long ago that I don't need professional quality from my holiday photos. If I should happen to be the only photographer on site when a newsworthy situation should evolve, I am certain my pictures would be sold regardless of technical quality.

The S100 does most of the things I want it to do, and it does them very well plus it fits in my pocket.

YMMV, I write this to offer you a different perspective. Good luck and happy shooting anyway.
--
Less is more

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow