Aperture or Lightroom

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,969Gear list
Like?
Re: Aperture or Lightroom
In reply to Buc522, May 4, 2012

Buc522 wrote:

I just purchased a new 27 in iMac and am weighing the benefit of Lightroom over aperture. I had Lightroom 4 on my windows pc and thought it was a great program. Unfortunately adobe does not allow cross platform licensing. I have been doing photography for a lot of years now but consider myself to be nothing more than an advanced enthusiast. I simply enjoy the process and the associated small trips to find areas of photographic interest. I had tried aperture 2 on my sons iMac briefly and was not real impressed. Since tht time aperture 3 has been released. Unfortunately there is no trial version that I can find. I would appreciate the input of anyone who is using aperture 3. How do you like it and is it a stable program. I have seen some mixed reviews, however most of them highly favor the program. At roughly half the price of Lightroom I have to believe it will be more than satisfactory for my needs. I do use some legacy lenses but seem to be migrating to the native emount lenses more and more.

I love lightroom 4.1, especially with the new candidate update you can get from their website that allows for excellent purple fringing removal. If you shoot with fast primes wide open, you are going to want Lightroom. It is very stable, but on my now out of date MacBook Pro (kind of funny, it was top-of-the-line two years ago), it runs relatively slow. I plan to also get the 27inch iMac when it gets updated this summer.

Keep in mind if your son is in school, you may be able to take advantage of the education pricing. At the education price, it's a steal for what it is.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either, but I really, REALLY like how well lightroom processes my RAW files. Much much better than iPhoto (which uses the same processing engine as Aperture).

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow