Best Lens choice for OM-D E-M5?

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Lens choice for OM-D E-M5?
In reply to Spectacle99, May 4, 2012

I got the kit with the 12-50mm and am still trying to decide between the other three, to round out my zoom collection. I've taken some shots with the 12-50, but don't feel like I can really comment on it, yet - I'm still trying to get my settings right and figure out the camera.

I've pretty much decided against the 45-200, mostly out of size and weight considerations.

I used a borrowed Oly 40-150 for about half an hour, taking some party shots inside a bowling alley. I was pleased with the autofocus speed on my E-M5, whereas my friend's EP1 was completely unable to focus on people in the weird bowling alley lighting. The lens is light, and it does get long when zoomed in. I was happy with the photos I got out of it, so it's still in the running. It was so light, though, that it felt a bit like a toy.

The Pany 45-175 is also in the running - it's more expensive and slightly heavier. It gets good reviews, and I like the extra 25mm. The lens looks a little less toy-like to me than the Oly. I'm also interested to know whether the power zoom feature will work with an OM-D (for shooting videos). Shame they don't make a slightly cheaper version without IS, since that's superfluous for me.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow