Canon 60 f/2.8 vs. 50 f/1.8

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
arty H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009
Like?
Re: Canon 60 f/2.8 vs. 50 f/1.8
In reply to DoctorPDA, May 4, 2012

I have the Sigma 50f2.8 macro lens. AF is fine and the lens is sharp. However, f2.8 is not fast enough for inside my home at night. During the day, f2.8 is OK, but not at night, unless you really crank up the ISO.

I'd recommend either the Canon 50f1.4 or Canon 35f2. An aperture of f2 is plenty to allow natural light shots of family and friends. Both of these lenses are sharp. While it sound nice to have macro capabilities, I'd recommend a fast prime instead. Both of these lenses have fast and accurate AF. I use the 50 at f1.8 or so. It is sharp there, and in fact, is pretty sharp wide open.

A 50 on a crop is going to give you a field of view that is comparable to that of an 85 on film. Yes, I know that technically it is like that of an 80 mm view, but I compared my 50 on a crop with a Minolta 85MD on my old film camera and couldn't see any difference. This is already a bit on the long side for photos of pairs or triplets of people. A 60 is even longer with a narrower view.

I use the 35 more than the 50f1.4 indoors. I like having sharp macro lenses and have 3 - but I use them for specialized purposes. A Canon 50f1.4 is going to be very sharp at f2 and even sharper at f2.8. Once you are at f2.8 you won't see much of a difference in resolution between either of the these lenses - the Canon 60 or 50f1.4. Take a look again at them at SLR gear or
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/565-canon50f14apsc?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/513-canon60f28apsc?start=1

My 50f1.4 is great at f2 and I couldn't tell it apart from the Sigma 50f2.8 macro when both were at f2.8.

AF is very good on the 50f1.4 and the 35f2, both Canon. I use and store both lenses with their hoods in place, to protect the front element and reduce flare.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow