why do pictures posted / linked here look like crap

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,885
Like?
the Zooming effect
In reply to sherwoodpete, May 4, 2012

This "zooming effect" is a very good point. I tripped over this one myself when viewing an image I recently uploaded to my DPR gallery. Without realizing it, when viewing in DPR, I had either hit "CTRL +" or I had monkeyed with the scroll wheel of my mouse while holding down CTRL. The result was a really ugly view of an image which I knew was passably good in its original form. Another DPR user pointed out my mistake.

Even so, I'll go back to my original point about compression when transferring images between photo sharing sites. If I transfer an image which is 1600 pixels transversely in pbase and it's going to be 1000 (or whatever) pixels transversely in DPR, compression will occur, and image quality could suffer somewhat. If I want the image to look the same in both photo sharing sites, I have to be sure that it leaves pbase (for example) at the same image size, and with the same amount of sharpening, as it will appear in DPR.
--
Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow