5DIII Low ISO banding after boosting -> fixed

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Slideshow Bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114
Like?
Re: a quick test on 5D2
In reply to qianp2k, May 4, 2012

Interesting.

If I adjust levels on your samples so that the shadow area is roughly equal, then apply a levels adjustment with the midpoint set at 2.8, it would appear that DPP is simply reducing saturation in the deep shadows so that colour banding is no longer visible. Might not be a bad solution for most uses, although you would notice the lack of colour if you pushed too far.

It doesn't look like DPP is getting anything extra out of the RAW file, but it does quite effectively cover up one of the perceived issues with lifting shadows.

SB

qianp2k wrote:

I followed the same steps to test on a 5D2 photo. I didn't spent much time to fine tune in DPP as I have not used for a long while. But I can duplicate the similar result.

Here is the scene. I recovered highlight 100% and pulled shadow also 100% in LR4. You already can see the banding in the deep dark top left corner at this reduced size.

Here is 100% cropped from LR4 directly.

Now I recovered highlight and pulled shadow in DPP RAW tab to their respective max stop (but left everything else to default such as 0 sharpening) and saved to 16-bit TIFF and then loaded into LR4. Then I pulled shadow and recovered highlight a bit more, and applied some sharpening.

It definitely better by processed DPP first to reduce banding in deep dark areas. But I agreed as OP said that I should also apply other adjustments such as contrast, saturation and sharpness before saving to TIFF and loading into LR4 for further adjustment.

However this practice might only reduce the banding in deep dark areas but not necessarily be able to pull more details from the dark areas. This doesn't increase DR of course.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow