why 5d3 disappoints a 1d4 photographer

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,730
Like?
Re: why 5d3 disappoints a 1d4 photographer
In reply to Brad Durack, May 4, 2012

Brad Durack wrote:

I have been waiting years for the 5d3... as a very happy owner of the 5d classic, i resisted upgrading to mkii.

I don't see why you are avoiding the 5D-II. For very much work, it is as good as the 5D-III - and considering the price, a very fine value indeed.

In the meantime i needed to upgrade and my only option was a 5d2, which was years into its cycle at the time.

The 1dmkiv was an obvious choice, and for its purpose it has been an outstanding camera... BUT its not full frame.

The 1DX is full frame and modern technology.

My gripe is, as a 1dmkiv owner, the 5d3 just doesn't offer the improvement that camera technology now allows. IMO the 1dmkiv and 5dmk3 are too similar, they just don't compliment each other.

As a 1D-IV owner, I cannot see why your would think that a 5D-III is an upgrade for the 1D-IV

Am i the only photographer who wants a high res full frame body to use in studio or as landscape option for wide format printing?

The 5D-III would make a superb studio camera. The 22 mpix is more than sufficient for real studio work.

Yes, a 40 mpix camera would be very fine for landscape work and would also work well in the studio. I am waiting for Photokina when Canon announces the camera that will replace the 1Ds-III. To be properly competitive, I think it will be in the 40mpix range. None the less, the 21mpix 5D-II manages to make beautiful 40 inch wide images when viewed on the wall.

Just taking a wild guess from viewing you web page, it seems to me that an appropriate upgrade would be to the 1DX which would be very fine for sports and weddings. In addition, a 5D-II or 5D-III might be the currently available appropriate camera for the studio & scenic work and would also work well as the second camera for a wedding.

I use 2x5D-II, 1D-III and 1D-IV. Since the upgrade from the 5D-II to the 5D-III is not what I was hoping for, I will get the 1DX and wait for the high pixel count camera that will come out real soon now
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow