5D3 vs D800 - A Technical Analysis (UPDATED & EXTENDED) - With Samples

Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
5tve
Contributing MemberPosts: 652Gear list
Like?
Re: Part 2: 5D3 vs D800 - A Technical Analysis (UPDATED & EXTENDED) - With Sample
In reply to Legion5, May 4, 2012

Legion5 wrote:

Resolution: Primes

Winner: D800

Obviously because the D800 has more megapixels, it's going to achieve a better resolution. With primes the advantage should be clear. Generally speaking primes will achieve under good circumstances around 3800 LP/PH on the 5D3. On the D800 they will achieve 4300 LP/PH (based on results using crop cameras with nearly identical pixel sizes, which are extremely accurate as analysis). Notice that this is only a 30% increase in spacial resolution, noticeably below the difference in sensor resolution. Lenses that are sharp enough to resolve all 36 megapixels are virtually nonexistent.

Here is an absolute best case scenario for the difference, shooting a very very sharp lens, on fabric which shows the clearest possible different, again 5D3 files are resized to 36MP.

Hi Legion which one of my posts was the clever attack ?

personally my favorite was the liar video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSkv_29Rncg

chironNYC wrote this about you

You are not in the same technical league as Legion5. This is what he does for a living, at a very high technical level with top photographers. He produces finished graphic images for a living for national campaigns. Try to learn from him. He is offering you > something.

I'm curious perhaps you could post some links to your work maybe it would help some of us put your posts regarding the 5DMKIII & D800 into context.

Regarding resolution how on earth did you manage to make such a mess of the D800 pic.

Heres my attempt with the D800 raw iso 100 I'm not claiming it's the best possible but it is the best I can do.
Don't forget you have to zoom in to see the detail in my version.

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow