First day with the terrible 30mm macro

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,111Gear list
Like?
Re: First day with the terrible 30mm macro
In reply to gsrjedi, May 4, 2012

I think the first shot would look a bit better if you used a smaller aperture (e.g., perhaps f/5.6). I don't have the Sony 30mm Macro lens, but I have the Zeiss 24, which I use as a macro here and there. This shot at f/5.6 provides a bit more detail on the inside of the flower (a tulip, in my case). Even f/5.6 isn't enough to bring out the detail at the very bottom, but I have quite a bit of detail where I really wanted it. The second shot is a 100% crop of the first shot just to show the detail.

I think the Sony 30mm is best at f/5.6 so I'd love to see you shoot a flower up close. I was never interested in macro until I bought the Zeiss and started shooting flowers and bugs, but I am not sure whether I'd benefit from the Sony 30mm enough to justify it. You have a nice collection of shots to show that the lens can do much more than macro. I just wonder whether the non macro shots are an improvement over the kit, for example???

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow