best all rounder lens for my 60D??

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,392Gear list
Like?
Disagree...
In reply to MAC, May 4, 2012

MAC wrote:

This, but 17-55 to narrow a range and not thin dof anyway - so 15-85 has better 4 stop ISand you can learn to sprinkle in flash

Sorry, but have to disagree with that. Difference in aperture can absolutely help with thinner DOF. If I were doing portraits, I agree, I'd probably pick a different lens... likely a prime (certainly not the 15-85). f/2.8 also comes in very handy in low light situations, particularly if there is any subject movement to deal with. In those situations, IS really doesn't help. The difference between f/2.8 and f/5.6 can be very significant under those circumstances (at 55mm) and flash is not always an option.

Far as range goes, that's a very personal thing and depends on your own needs as a photographer. The 17-55 is my walk around lens and I rarely find myself needing more reach. Particularly when using it for traveling, I tend to shoot wide a lot more than long. The point is that each lens has various advantages and disadvantages and you have to map your own requirements against in order to to make an intelligent decision. Simply stating that 17-55 is "too narrow a range" might reflect your own needs, but not necessarily others who are trying to decide between those two choices.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow