x-trans sensor and yellow/green tint of X-Pro1

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385
Like?
Re: x-trans sensor and yellow/green tint of X-Pro1
In reply to lnbolch, May 3, 2012

lnbolch wrote:

Since it may take Adobe a while to adequately de-mosaic the X-Trans filter array, I have been shooting RAW+JPEG. In normal, single-source light, I have been very satisfied with automatic white balance. However, it does have a matrix with a green-red and yellow-blue axis for fine-tuning. In mixed light or under non-continuous spectrum sources, custom white balance has produced amazingly good colour.

Then too, with JPEG, there is film emulation to give softer or more saturated results—or a variety of results if you use the in-camera converter. The converter also will let you fine tune the colour balance after the fact. Once RAW processing in Photoshop is available, it becomes a total non-issue, since RAW has no white balance whatever—it is created during the conversion.

Conversion is already possible through the minimal bundled software and the above in-camera feature. With the variable spacing of photosites in the X100, multi-mode pixel binning and high dynamic range sensors of the X10 and X-S1 and now the XP1, Fuji is clearly the leading industry innovator with sensor technology. Pretty much the only radical sensor innovation since the Foveon, way back ten years ago. With over 400 shots—mostly in challenging light—I see only superb colour and sharpness, with no issues at all, even with JPEGs.

-- hide signature --

Agreed, Fuji really has been leading the way when it comes to sensor technology. Given the colors I've been seeing so far, I'd say if anything the X-Trans sensor sets the benchmark for accurate color rendition. I won't know until we get Adobe RAW support, but at this point, Fuji is leading the way. I just hope this technology gets implemented into larger sensors sooner than later.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow