So what is fast enough for wildlife photography?

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?
Re: So what is fast enough for wildlife photography?
In reply to Brandon birder, May 3, 2012

Brandon birder wrote:

No I'm not assuming that, but I have done machine gunning and it does alter ones mindset a bit. What is being done is hoping that the bird does something special in at least one of the frames. When I look back at those photos most were thrown away and few were just what I wanted. Not saying though that others find it different.

I agree, machine gunning is a different animal than timed shots. Indeed you could take the best photo nearly every time with a 1fps camera if you knew your craft (and the animals), and knew your equpement (ie the shutter delay), and just snap the picture at the exact moment.

On the other hand if your mindset is spray and pray, then indeed the more FPS the better, becuase once you start spraying, the delays between shots are candidates for the exact moment you want to capture, and it's all up to luck. The more FPS the more lucky you'll get.

Of course you'll also run through a lot more duds, more memory cards, more time reviewing images and nitpicking out of the set which ones to keep, not to mention wear/tear on your shutter assembly.

Sports photographers are the same, the best photographers could get away with less fps, but higher fps has leveled the playing field so much that it takes less skills to get the cover photo, than it would have with lesser gear.

Different strokes for different folks, I'd admire a photographer that can time the shot just right with a slow FPS body than one that shoots at 10+ fps. But at the end of the day... did you get the shot? That's what matters.

And in some cases (the raptor picture), the subsequent shots in the sequence of a spray and pray scenario could be just as amazing if not more!
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow