Focus / Autofocus with backlit subjects - Help!

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joel avery
Senior MemberPosts: 1,667Gear list
Like?
Focus / Autofocus with backlit subjects - Help!
May 3, 2012

Hello All:

Been having some tremendous success improving my people photography but have found a definite sticking point both with the a77 and my crippled a850:

Focusing on backlit subjects.

So far, not a single technique I've tried will give me sharp, consistent focus on a backlit subject. 90% of my attempts end in severe hunting. This has been tested extensively with my Minolta 17-35g, Tamron 70-200, Sigma 24-70, Sigma 85 - no satisfaction with any of those lenses on either body.

What gets me is, that sometimes the backlighting can be fairly weak and cause the issue. If it's strongly backlit then forget about it.

I almost always shoot with local spot focusing and this has worked wonders, generally speaking, allowing me to have excellent DOF control. Maybe one of the other modes works better if your subject is backlit?

There's probably a great FAQ somewhere that tells me what I need to do but I haven't found it in this forum yet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

joel*

p.s. a tiny sampling of modelling images http://photos.creativeness.com/Models/Models/

joel avery's gear list:joel avery's gear list
Sony RX100 II
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow