Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ticking Productions
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
MB-D12 design flaw
May 3, 2012

I received the MB-D12 today and after loading in a EN-EL15 noticed the battery moves around quite a bit in the case making a wobble sound as I move the grip from horizontal to verticle or just moving it at all. It's a problem with the battery having grooves only on one side and not fitting tightly. It appears Nikon tried to solve this problem by adding a lip in the grip's battery case, but it isn't long or snug enough to stop the wobble.

Ive used the MB-D10 for years and didn't experience this issue. That grips locking pin made a metal to metal clinking sound, but that went away after locking the grip onto the camera body. The battery always fit perfectly.

The wobble or whatever you wanna call it in the MD-D12 is very annoying and feels cheap. I can actually feel the weight of the battery sliding around as i move the grip in my hand. I'm also concerned the microphones will pick up that audio during video shooting. The AA's don't make that sound and I could always shoot without the battery in, but a nuisance I'd rather not deal with.

Im thinking about adding some gaffers tape around the battery and casing to hold it in place. Or maybe a small piece of velcro on the battery and inside the case. Anybody else experience this or have a fix idea?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow