Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lasse Eisele
Senior MemberPosts: 1,599
Like?
V1 goes to Lapland
May 3, 2012

I'm back from my annual ski hiking tour in Swedish Lapland. It was fabulous as always and we were also lucky to have great weather with sunshine every day.

This time I brought my V1 with the 10-30 and 30-110 mm lenses plus a Canon S95 and a Gorillapod. But there was little time to change lenses, so I only used the V1 with the telezoom and the S95 for the "normal" focal range. The pod never left the backpack.

I had purchased the V1 specifically for hiking and my expectations were rather high.
So, how did it fare? Well, not too great, to be honest.

1) We all know that LCD screens are difficult to read in bright sunlight. But I didn't know that even a good EVF is almost unusable in very bright sunlight, particularly in combination with snow. In short: it was very difficult to see anything at all in the viewfinder (and I didn't even wear sunglasses most of the time). It was pretty much like shooting from the hip.

2) The camera doesn't like cold weather. I have used lots of different cameras on my winter hikes and have never had any problems with any of them. But the LCD on the V1 went blank after a few hours outside. I could still shoot, but I found it very worrying and annoying. The camera recovered after a few hours in the hut, but the same ting happened the next day. No such problem with the S95.

3) The camera is almost impossible to operate with gloves on.

4) This is nothing new, but it's very frustrating that you have to check your settings all the time. The mode dial is never where I want it when I pick up the camera and the aperture settings are all over the place.

Anyway, some of the images came out well, I think. Image quality is good and the 30-110 is a gem. Here are a few pics, all handheld and taken with V1+30-110 unless otherwise noted:

4. (S95)

5. (S95)

Regards
Lasse

Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow