Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tustinfarm
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Broke my 18-55mm kit lens
May 3, 2012

Have been enjoying my NEX-7 for the past few weeks. Alas, last night I received a very cheap lens extension tube set ($7, from China), promptly popped the 18-55 kit lens on and...I noticed that the viewfinder was very dark and that the aperture on the lens was very small…probably around f22. So decided to take the lens off the extension tube and see what is going on. Then discovered that the lens could not be removed from the tube adapter, and there did not even seem to be a release button like the camera body has. It just seemed locked into place like a permanent attachment. I kept trying and trying, increasing the pressure while turning both sides of the connecttion…until the zoom ring eventually clicked past the 55 mark, and the front lens element and associated tube fell off. Not sure if this is a permanent breakage of the lens or just part of a normal factory disassembly process. There were no signs of broken plastic or damage to the glass elements, and I did not attempt to reverse the process.

Has anyone ever had any experience in getting a lens like this fixed by Sony? Guessing the repair charge would probably not be justified, and it looks like a new one would run $300. Not to mention the emabarrassment of sending the lens in, still attached to the $7 tube extension that led to this fiasco.

This “adventure” did prompt me to order the 18-200mm Sony lens. And I will never again install a cheap lens accessory without taking great caution!

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow