problem of b/w raw files in sony software

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,922Gear list
Like?
Re: are you saying black+white preview's perfectly great?
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, May 3, 2012

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

RussellInCincinnati: ...in black and white preview mode, you may forget that you set the wrong white balance

Tesilab: (essentially) ...I don't set white balance, I use auto white balance.

Again sounds like you are searching for negatives, yes if you never set white balance then you wouldn't care about my observation that the black and white preview mode doesn't remind you what the current non-auto-white-balance is.

Whoa, what did I do? Please don't paraphrase me like that, ok? What I actually did was just share my experience. You explained a valid potential issue with B&W mode. I explained only how I happen to deal with that particular issue. Especially given that I pointed out in the very same post which you left out, that I use both B&W and color creative modes for focus peaking, why are you making it out that I am saying the opposite? Please, read my text a little more charitably.

Now you're down to talking about that subset of color photographers that are real picky about focusing accuracy, so picky that they don't autofocus, and they must furthermore have a certain performance with the manual focus assist peaking function, and they're picky enough about image quality to use raw files, but they're perfectly happy with a black-and-white preview and in-camera auto white balance.

Do you mean to suggest that not every photographer fits into that exact subset? I believe you're right again! Touche.

Which of those major points Tesilab do you disagree with?

I never indicated that I was disagreeing with your points at all. That's just it. Sometimes, someone can add perspective to a discussion without it being some kind of a challenge.

Cheers, mate.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow