Pulling the trigger on Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Seehorse
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Re: Pulling the trigger on Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
In reply to javierz0509, May 3, 2012

I recently bought the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS for my 7D. I'm impressed with what both of these very inexpensive (under $200) lenses are capable of; although I'm a fair bit less impressed with the build quality, particularly of the 18-55.

It works great and gives really good results but it does feel very fragile and it almost completely lacks any MF ability... it's AF only unless you're really determined. It's very loose though and it rattles a bunch which gives me some doubt as to it's long term durability but for now it puts a great image on the sensor for less than $200.

Overall the 55-250 seems better built but I have a hard time telling the difference in output between the 18-55, 55-250 and my 50 f1.4 at 50mm with all three around f8. Yes, if you go to 100% the prime's sharper and it certainly has better bokeh but there's nothing wrong optically with the zooms, particularly for what they cost.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow