TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?
Re: Pentax K-01 noise reduction accusation - a red herring
In reply to Robgo2, May 3, 2012

Robgo2 wrote:

GordonBGood wrote:

JNR wrote:

I shoot RAW with the zero noise reduction setting. It isn't clear that DXO tests anything other than standard settings, which is unfortunate. I do not see detail smearing at the zero noise reduction setting.

For all Pentax DSLR's up to current models, the camera Noise Reduction (NR) settings don't apply to the raw data (other than the Dark Frame Substraction - DFS - done by the long exposure so-called Noise Reduction); thus, it doesn't matter what camera settings DxOMark used to test the camera, the results would be the same and this compulsory NR would still be applied.

You are correct that the compulsory raw NR as used by Pentax for ISO sensitivities of ISO 3200 and higher is not very strong and one doesn't lose very much in resolution more than that already lost due to demosiacing and other processing such that one barely notices it visually, but there is perhaps a 20% loss (more-or-less depending as compared to what is lost by the demosiacing used in raw conversion).

It is pretty clear - literally - that noise reduction up to 6400 on the K-01 is minor at most, and not field relevant. On a good monitor you will see that in these DP studio shots.

The compulsory raw NR used at all ISO's of 3200 and above is the same, so if you don't find it objectionable at ISO 6400 then there is nothing to complain about for higher ISO values other than that the camera noise levels increase, of course.

Regards, GordonBGood

Gordon,

It seems to me that Pentax's on-chip NR is very effective at removing mainly chroma noise, while retaining detail. I don't know that it could be done as well in PP with NR software. Is my observation correct?

Probably not.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=41407104

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow