Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Ridges
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015
Like?
D800 auto focus technique help
May 3, 2012

I know the pics are crap. I've only had my D800 2 days so excuse the jacked up color and white balance etc. for these test pics. After the awesome polo shots posted the other day, I was trying to sort out the focus tracking. I was using AF-C in 9, 21, and 51 points with the center focus point and the 24-70 but I had lots of pics like these. Each was f/4.5 @ 1/320 @ 70mm. I should note that pics with the 70-200 were better.

These are screen grabs of the picture 100% in View NX2 showing the focus point. As you can see, the camera thinks it locked focus but it focused WAY behind the subject. This goes far beyond left side AF sensor issue (which my camera has by the way). To me, this is more of a technique problem. My goal was to have my son in focus. Should I not have been trying to put his head in the sensor? I didn't want to focus on the front of the ATV because I thought the focus would be there and not on him. I don't think he is too small of a target is he?

Should I be focusing on the ATV and trying to carry him with the DOF? In the polo pictures, there seemed to be several shots where just the rider was in focus so I think it should be possible. What do you think?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow