Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peter mort
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Size vs Weight vs Cost
May 3, 2012

My 8 year old camera has a 24 to 85 mmm lens, electronic view finder, built in flash and weighs 470 grams. It will fit in a very large coat / anorak pocket. The only problems I have is that the autofocus is very slow (not suitable for pictures of active children) and I am in practice limited to ISO 200 (very old sensor).

I cannot find a replacement as I want a built in flash and a view finder that displays basic information (iso appature speed etc).

Compact cameras are very small but lack viewfinders. Bridge cameras are too large and due to their small sensors suffer noise problems. Budget and medium priced SLR cameras give a lot of function but are too large and weighty, but they offer very good value for money.

Cameras such as the Canon G12 and Nikon P7100 are ideal but lack any information in the view finder. The Fuji X10 has a very good large view finder but again no information in it. I beleive Canon and Nikon optical view finders to be very poor compared to the Fuji X10 one. Both Canon and Nikon should do better or not try at all.

CSC cameras offer a possible alternative although I would prefer a built in compact lens. Their lenses if incorporationing stablelisation tend to be large.

Nikon V1 need external flash which makes total price high.
Panasonic G3 with 14 to 42X lens looks good but reports say lens is soft.
Sony Nex-7 looks good but lens too large.
Olympus OMD-5 looks good with 14 to 42 lens but No built in flash.

The best value are conventional SLR's from Nikon and Canon. Too large and heavy for me but they offer every thing I think a camera should have.

My ideal would be for Nikon to put the V1 sensor and electronic view finder in the P7100 together with the V1 auto focus.

The components and technology exists. I shall just keep my 8 year old camera because even with its faults it is a better package than is currently available.

Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X10 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow