Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,454Gear list
Like?
A month in New York - m43
May 3, 2012

I spent all of April in New York City, shooting until I was nearly blind from it (an exaggeration, but I shot a LOT, every day but one or two serious rainouts). On my second day there, I bought an X-Pro 1 with the 18 and 35mm lenses so I shot almost exclusively with that for a while. But I still pulled out my EPL3 for a lot of street shooting. Then with about a week and a half remaining there, I had the chance to grab an OMD at B&H. I wasn't planning to buy the OMD until later, but I figured I'd never have the next ten days or so of shooting in NYC again, so I jumped on it. Now I've sold my EPL3 and am in the process of selling a bunch of other gear. and I see sticking with the X-Pro and OMD as my main setup for some time to come, along with probably a small compact (probably my LX5, which I paid so little for there's not much point in selling, and it comes in handy...). Anyway, as much as I shot with the Fuji, I did some of my best shooting with my m43 gear. For street I mostly used the Olympus 12mm with its manual focus ring using zone focus. Once I got the OMD, I used the rear screen as the shutter button (when you're in manual focus, you can touch the rear screen ANYWHERE to trigger the shot since its not bothering to re-focus on that spot) and it quickly became my favorite street camera ever. And I used a range of other lenses for other shooting. Anyway, here's a rather extensive sampling from the month, broken up into the next three posts. I'll probably do a book at some point, but for anyone masochistic enough to want to see the whole (basically unedited) set on Flickr (including all cameras, not just m43), its here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/sets/72157629714382477/with/7116627787/

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ReyNew
RayNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow