Let's unite for new Mac Pro!!!!

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,112Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's unite for new Mac Pro!!!!
In reply to Leon Wittwer, May 3, 2012

Leon Wittwer wrote:

The issue is not how much Apple makes overall but how much they make on the Mac Pros. Since this is a product that will not likely have significant growth, it needs to show a profit on its own. Another aspect is R&D cost. Will there be more profit from an engineer who works on a better Mac Pro or a better iPad?

I like having multiple Dell displays hooked to my Mac Pro and 16 GB of RAM along with 4 internal HDs. I realize Thunderbolt could solve my internal HD needs, but I still want the most power I can get to do my photo and video needs. I hadn't ever considered an iMac (as someone noted, I don't like having my display attached to my computer because necessary display repairs would cause complete loss of machine). I just know that my new Macbook Air is considerably slower using Color Efex Pro in Aperture than is my Mac Pro. Considerably. And my Mac Pro is 4 years old or so.

If Apple were to kill off the Pro line and not replace it with a high end model then I'd have to consider a PC. The trickle down effect of that move would be that I'd also start moving my family over (wife and 2 kids). I already switched for a weeks to an Android phone, but ended up taking the EPIC back and getting the iPhone 4. I suspect Android is up to the task now. Apple surely understands that the Pro is not just a single device; rather, for a lot of people it is a single device in a family of workflows and integrated systems. You remove that necessary workhorse and trickle down effect could be felt far beyond the Pro line.

I suspect we'll see something closer to the Mac Mini in form, but more upgradeable with more ports. But it has to have the extra processing power.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow