Upgrade please help!

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Senior MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade please help!
In reply to xxxflyxxx, May 3, 2012

xxxflyxxx wrote:

Hey, this probably really isnt the right forum but oh well.

I currently have a canon 20d

and was looking to upgrade.

I was looking at the canon 1d mark ii n, as it
has the speed and functionality im looking for (i shoot a lot of skateboarding)

but i keep getting stuck on it having the same Megapixel count of my current body. Although that's likely stupid as im sure the image quality is awesome.

i was also considering switching to nikon, maybe a d2x. which would most likely

be fore the MP upgrade. if it makes any difference.(no company-pride bias please )

i had a nikon d1 at one point, and really liked the pro style body,
thus the old prostyle bodies.

I am not looking to spend a whole lot,
are either of these cameras a substantial upgrade?

or would it be better to go for a more current dslr of comparable price?

any advice would be beyond appreciated

Since you are using a DX body now, I would suggest you stay with one to avoid having to buy longer lenses. The 1d mark ii n is APS-H (1.3x crop) while your current is 1.6x crop.

The pro bodies are nicer, but since they are also likely to "well used" and still fairly spendy, they might not be the bargains they seem to be.

Switching to Nikon would not be a good way to save money since you would have to sell all your lenses and buy them over again.

I suggest you consider the Canon 7d, if you can swing it. The canon 50d if the 7d is too much.

If you want the best bargain in a Nikon mount right now that would be the d300. Very fast AF, motion tracking very good metering, good ISO performance (allows for decently fast shutter speeds even in poor light)

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow