Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kennethfong
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Richard Franiec's Custom Mechanical Release Adaptor Review
May 3, 2012

Finally Richard Franiec’s mechanical cable release adaptor arrived at my doorstep today, nicely packed in its bubblewrap envelope, grabbed the adaptor out of its protective plastic shield and went searching around for my old cable release and finally ready for some tests…

The first time when you touch the adaptor, it feels soft, yet sturdy like a true metal… Reading from Richard’s website, this piece of art is made of Delrin which if we were to study the a lil bit of this material they have all the following qualities:
1) Low friction
2) High heat resistance
3) Low water absorption
4) High abrasion resistance

Personally I think the high abrasion resistance alone would have kept the unit looking like new after certain frequent use, and looking at the details of this unit, it has an interesting matte black surface which looks sturdily good, to what I see it’s a perfectly fine piece of machined metal without any imperfection whatsoever.

And the actual test begins, removed the original flash unit from NX200, guided the adaptor into the hotshoe , wow the sliding effort is even smoother than my original Samsung flash unit, but after sliding all its way in it feels pretty much like being bonded with the camera body, and went for some deliberate shaking of the whole camera and oh yes, no way this adaptor is gonna fall off from the hotshoe….

Later hooked the camera to a tripod, turned the cable release screw thread into the adaptor, which fits perfectly without additional effort required, and started doing some test shots with the mounted 60mm, and as what I’ve expected the cable release control really allows you to feel when is the half shutter, and when is the full shutter operation, gives you the entire control of your camera…

Tried using a bit more strength onto the cable release just to see whether it does any damage to the long exposure shot, though it doesn’t feel to affect the stability of the shot at all, upon closer inspection of the entire shutter release operation, it feels like Richard’s adaptor is becoming a counter-balance like a vehicle’s suspension system, although I have no scientific evidence to measure the force in physics in certain values which counter reacts the force of mechanically hitting the shutter button, but what I feel is that this adaptor is capable of effectively absorbing the force of cable release which may probably exerted any more than the minimal required force just to hit the shutter button, and although it feels really sturdy and tough, but in the actual shutter operation it becomes a bit flexible in order to overcome or contra the excessive force which may have jeopardized your valuable shot.

Really a big thumbs up to Richard Franiec, I'm sure Richard has contributed and helped the entire NX200 community to have a fantastic remote shutter operation, finally! And I would really recommend this amazing kit to all NX200 users, especially people who wish to shoot bulb mode or macro....

Samsung NX200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow