Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jake21
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
Question on E-m5 review (dynamic range) and auto focus
May 3, 2012

I have two questions on the review (I guess this is targeted towards R. Butler):

First the dynamic range test was performed in jpeg; not raw. In fact I did not see a section that commented on head room in raw. It has been my understanding (perhaps I am mistaken) from earlier reviews that dynamic range in jpeg was frowned upon because the camera can 'cheat' and therefore most dynamic tests were performed off the raw files.

Perhaps my understanding is in error or perhaps the newer cameras have sufficiently low enough noise at higher iso they can be allowed to 'cheat'. Still it seems a bit confusing to me and even with dynamic rang test in jpeg I though there would be a section on raw performance with regards to noise and dynamic range.
-

Second (not related to the first but I thought perhaps one thread is enough) there has been claimed that setting the jpeg output to high contrast improves auto focus. Why would this be the case? Can't the camera perform the appropriate amplificiation for auto focus without modifying the post processing aspect of the jpeg ?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow