Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
echelon2004
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,113
Like?
Re: Fuji X-Pro1 RAW file supported in iPad 3
In reply to Ray Sachs, May 3, 2012

Ray Sachs wrote:

echelon2004 wrote:

The native iOS raw processing should really be labelled "preview grabbing". iOS can grab previews and it can store raw files. Which is very good.

There are some apps that will actually process the very raw data, but it takes forever and is not really useful for more than a very few files.

So you're saying that when I upload a bunch of supported raw files to my ipad and then open them in Snapseed and process them (one at a time, since snapseed doesn't do batch processing of any kind), snapseed is actually ignoring the data from the large raw file and just working on the data from the smaller embedded jpeg? Or is the embedded jpeg full res, high quality? I'm curious because I was able to pull up a good amount of shadow detail from a lot of those EPL3 files that I don't think I'd have been able to do from the limited data in a typical embedded jpeg. And the finished products generally look better than I'd expect from an embedded jpeg preview, which I've always assumed were limited size and resolution...

It's really not me saying it, but yes, that is how iOS raw processing works.

Nik software is as capable as Lightroom or photoshop to bring out shadow detail from jpegs as long as the data is still there. You tend to get worse result if you need to recover high lights, which is where the raw files really would help. The embedded jpg is full size, or rather, one of the embedded files is full size. And from what I can tell it is a quite good quality one coming from the X100. The good thing with all this is that iPad2 and snap seed will show differences between astia, provia etc without the need for a new iOS version for every single camera You'll also get the fuji colors perfect to start with, or olympus when using olympus. No more silly Apple color sync standard rendition.

Note that while snapseed won't resize the image on save, photo stream will, so don't just save in snapseed and use the cloud image. You have to transfer the images properly.

-- hide signature --

Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow