Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
johnyxmarks
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Which camera instead of NEX 5N?
In reply to Guidenet, May 3, 2012

Guidenet wrote:

johnyxmarks wrote:

That's a big IF you mention there. Why would they create a new mount system and then discard it like that? Sony is a giant (maybe arrogant) but not stupid. What you say doesn't make sense to me.

I bet that the successor will have the same lens mount and it'll be compatible all the way from 5 to the next one. Just like the 5N and the 5 is.

Johny, I wouldn't have mentioned it if they hadn't already done it. They ran off with a different technology and came up with a new mount, E mount. I'm sure a 6n will have the same mount. What I said was that if Sony ran off with another technology like they did with SLT or NEX, they are likely to go to some other mount. They just are not conscious about how the photography business loves compatibility.

Photographers have long memories when it comes to companies obsoleting gear. The trust level many seasoned photographers have with Sony is not very high. They seem to have a grasp on the point and shooters more than the more experienced shooters. We'll have to see.

You might be holding your breath on E mounts anyway. It seems to me that Sony isn't quite rushing new and better lenses to market anytime soon. None that currently seem to exist are any I'd consider. Makes it hard. Like I said, add that huge adapter and your cost and size penalty kicks in.

But enjoy it. I think you already bought it and was looking for validation. Had we known, we'd have just not said anything and let you enjoy it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I still don't think that Sony is going to take a step back, but who knows. Time will tell.

No, don't have it (yet), but the big reason here that I am impressed of how Sony took the initiative and made a camera like this. And more importantly, how it stacks against competitors even though it is such a new desing (and yet ranks so high in reviews).

I am simply looking for something that will truly trump it at it's price point (but can't really find any). I just want my hard earned dollars to be spent in the best possible way, that's all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow