Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Radoz
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Upgrade my old K100D.. to a K5
May 3, 2012

Hi, I used to use these forums a little bit years ago but have just signed up again.

I have an old K100D that I want to upgrade as it's bugging me. Battery issues mean I can't rely on it (I have tried other batteries and a new charger). I'm also not overly happy with AF accuracy and speed much of the time.

I'm thinking of going for a K5. I would expect this would be a very noticeable improvement in most aspects...? (Apart from possibly size & weight!)

I am a pretty casual photographaer, and most of the time I just want to take family or travel shots in Av mode and have the camera just work. However I occasionally like to experiment and get a bit more creative, and don't want to be restricted by a camera lacking in features or performance. The price of the K5 is fine for me - I'm not trying to save money.

I don't have much invested in lenses. I mainly use a Sigma 17-70, and occasionally a second hand Pentax 70-200. I think both of these are not bad. I have a couple of M42 Takumars that are great fun but don't get much use.

I have had my eye on a DA40 or FA43 for a while, and am thinking I would really enjoy one of these with the new camera, for something a bit different without spending a lot.

Given my small lens collection, I could change away from the Pentax system, but I think a K5 would be good value for money compared to starting again with another brand. I can get the K5 body for about $900 online here in Australia.

Is this the right move? Thanks for your opinions - much appreciated.

Pentax K100D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow