D4 overhyped

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeffrey K Edwards
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 overhyped
In reply to corneaboy, May 3, 2012

I too jumped from a D700 to the D4. Just this evening I was hiking across our ranch and shooting at dusk. I was marveling over the improved ergonomics of the D4 - so much improved over the D700+battery pack. But it was the ability to really push the low light capabilities and focusing ability in a nature photography context that makes the leap worth it. I was shooting at up to 6400 iso and focusing accurately with very usable images that I would have never got with my D700.

I also notice less CA on images with the censor in the D4 as well and I shoot everything with primes or f/2.8 zooms. There appears to be a significant step up for me in IQ overall. Some of this may be related to the slight bump in pixel count as well, not sure, but very pleased nonetheless.

Here in Texas, I shoot a lot of evening football in the fall and rodeo sports year round in terribly lit arenas - the D4 was a no brainer for me and I am fortunate to have set aside the funds to get one. The D700 will remain a great back up and travel camera in a pinch, no worries....it will still get a lot of use!

Lastly, the video options are really intriguing. I am just starting to scratch the surface on this and look forward to learning more.

Bottom line, if you can afford the D4 and you are going to make a move from the D700 to get better, faster and more accurate high iso work done with the ability to shoot 1080 video - it is a slam dunk...why spend a little less for a D3s, when you get the cutting edge for the next 4-5 years and have better resale value in the long run?

Interested in others thoughts and insights...will get some images up this weekend.

Jeffrey K Edwards's gear list:Jeffrey K Edwards's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow