Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dean Baird
Contributing MemberPosts: 556Gear list
Like?
Why not try the side streets?
May 3, 2012

The lines at BH/Amazon/Adorama/OneCall seem unmanageably long, and the trickle of D800s shipping from those sites has people spinning out math on how long it will take to fulfill preorders. It's as if everyone's on a highway that's essentially a parking lot.

The side streets appear clear and that traffic seems to be moving. That is, brick and mortars are filling orders left, right, and center. We can all see the side streets from the highway. And there are exits everywhere.

I jumped off OneCall's preorder list and am now first in line at my local shop for an E. I did use the time in limbo to allow myself to switch allegiances from D800 to D800E, so there was some benefit to the extended wait time.

I'm just wondering what the allure is to being stuck in traffic that is moving at a snail's pace when better alternatives are available. If you preordered, you must be eager to start shooting. Why would you endure a slow-moving line when you could hop out and get a body quicker? I presume there's a reason to stay in such a miserable queue, but it eluded me as I pondered it.

-- hide signature --

Dean
Switching to Nikon D800E from Canon EOS 60D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phyz/collections/

Dean Baird's gear list:Dean Baird's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow