micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 ACR Baseline Exposure, UniWB, and ETTR
In reply to gollywop, May 3, 2012

gollywop wrote:

micksh6 wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Another reason is that muted ETTR colors and low JPEG contrast impair focusing speed which is sometimes important for me. This was discussed in E-M5 C-AF threads and Pens are affected as well. I suppose UniWB may also impact negatively but I didn't test.

Perhaps this is so, but, if so, it's practically irrelevant -- particularly with the E-M5, which, even with UniWB, focuses so quickly that you really couldn't ask for more. There is no practical issue here. Indeed, from a theoretical point of view, I don't really see how this is even possible. The focusing is done before the shot is taken. The WB doesn't come into play until after the shot is taken and the raw data are processed in-camera by the jpeg engine. It's not clear to me how the focusing knows beforehand what the jpeg engine is planning to do. I don't know about the Pens, but I've yet to see any real evidence in this regard. Perhaps you'll cite some, but, if so, please make it significant evidence.

CDAF algorithm doesn't run on raw image, it runs on image processed by JPEG engine (compression excluded). That is at least in case of Pens and E-M5.

The only evidence I can present is that dozens of people (including myself) observed AF speed improvement with vivid/contrast JPEG settings. You can read all here
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41295531
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41294319
Don't know if this evidence will be significant for you, but it works for me.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow