M9 + X Pro 1 Advice for the troubled...please

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brond1
Regular MemberPosts: 324Gear list
Like?
Re: M9 + X Pro 1 Advice for the troubled...please
In reply to jorge rubia, May 2, 2012

Thank you very much for such a range of responses, they've given me a lot to think about. Will look at NEX-7 (tho fear lack of direct manual controls) and OM E-M5 (highly regarded, my worry is IQ limit due to MFT sensor size ( or is that ill founded?).

I've never done E-bay so will sniff around that (how long do you have to work out if camera is good or dud before you can no longer get money back?) Are there good Leica/rangefinder forums where people buy and sell?

What you have all said has made me think more. I think: I would buy an M9 if I could afford it. I cant afford it, but I can find the money. That puts a lot of pressure on me believing I have made absolutely the right choice. And that makes me wonder about what the M10 will be. That said your remarks about resale value do help me feel I would not lose totally if I changed my mind later (as long as I keep the boxes!)

Another question: should I be wary about eyesight and using the rangefinder. I'm 48 and wind in about 1.7 in dioptre for the video camera. I can feel myself getting more longsighted. Is that a problem for the Leica?

Meanwhile it will be at least 6 months (much more?) before it appears/is buyable either itself or making M9s cheaper.

In the meantime I want to up my game. So I will check all your advice as above. And may buy a Samsung NX20 as a holding improvement.. then pass to my son.

Thank you very much for comments about my photographs. I am very proud to earn my living as a video cameraman for a top programme.. but it's only because I was taking still pictures from the age of ten after a widowed friend of my father's gave me her husband's Kodak Retinette. I have been a reporter and producer but my childhood love of photography eventually made muddling through into filming possible. And now I've done that for a while, the photography calls me back. And I'm incredibly lucky that filming assignments provide fascinating subject matter for taking stills.

And even more because I see how tough it is for full time photojournalists whose earnings and physical safety are much more precarious than mine. They are always trying to get "close enough" to get it "good enough" .. I can sit back as the zoom on my camera is equivalent of 1300mm!!!

InTheMist said .. What about cheery photos? This one of my niece was taken with an M9/35summarit I borrowed last year. I love how the focus falls away....

Brond1's gear list:Brond1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow