Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,885Gear list
Like?
Re: What next for the Pen?
In reply to Innominate, May 2, 2012

Innominate wrote:

Early indications are that the E-M5 is going to be a great success for Olympus and that at last they have a camera that rivals the GH2 in terms of IQ and functionality. But where does that leave the Pen series? Will the next Pen automatically get the same sensor and processor or will Olympus stick with the 12mp sensor, thus establishing the OM-D series as their premium range?

My predictions:

Pen EP-5 with the OMD sensor but EP-3 IBIS. No VF, no tilt LCD, but built in flash. (Basically an E-P3 with the OMD sensor).

There are two directions they can go with the smaller cameras; they may merge them into one, or keep them as two distinct entities. I know they want to keep the entry level market, so I would be surprised if they didn't keep the EPM1 level camera....the EPL series, however is a question mark.

What I think will happen is that the new EPL and/or EPM series will have that updated 12 MP sensor that Panasonic is using in the GF5. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine as to whether they will keep just one or both of these series going.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow