The best camera is the one you have with you and that works !!!

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,386Gear list
Like?
The best camera is the one you have with you and that works !!!
May 2, 2012

Maybe a bit OT
The best camera is the one you have with you and that works.

I went away this loooong weekend with 3 cameras. Olympus E-5 , E-620 and a canon SX220 ( Afterthought) . The first morning out I was shooting with the E-5 / 12-60 in a gentle rain and suddenly the camera hung. I though “ Oh hell I have got water in it.” Switched it off and on again took a few shoot and then looked at the display and saw I had a broken shutter blade.

I was a bit peeved. But thing s happen . No problems I continued using the E-620 and after a while the battery went dead ( Did not put a fully charged battery in) , then I looked for the spare batteries . Err I mean spare battery . I continued shooting the rest of the day . Got back to our residence to charge the battery Err what charger. I had brought 6 batteries for the E-5 and a spare for the E-620 and left the charger at home. I continued the next day shooting rather sparingly this was day 3 and by the evening the battery was showing that it was a bit tired .

Next morning after 30 minutes the battery died. Desperate measures now needed. I Actually started using the canon SX220 PS ( I really dislike this camera) I then spent the rest of the day shooting with this thing held in 12” front of my nose and falling over my feet and rocks etc. The output is not bad but you get what you get and not much pp leeway. Well by day 5 the battery was flat but no problems I will use the spare which would have been fine if I charged it properly. The weather turned bad and then we came home.

OK This is a long story of someone who was very sloppy by not taking a charger with him. I assumed I would be using the E-5 the whole weekend. So I eventually had a camera bag with thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment that was as useful as a ships anchor. I was reduced to using a PS which I also managed to botch up.

So there is a moral here somewhere . The best camera is the one you have with you and works Also be prepared for failures and don’t assume anything. The MAIN thing though is take a charger.

It was actually a pleasant rainy loooong weekend .

OK I will post what I got with what work when and how.

-- hide signature --

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )

http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

New Seventh Wonder of the World.

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
E-5New
carizi MOD
carizi MOD
(unknown member)
Joe.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow