Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: Tempted by Sigma 30mm f2.8
In reply to gbert15, May 2, 2012

gbert15 wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

My current kit is the Sigma 19, Sigma 30 and Sony 50, and I use the 30 the vast majority of the time. The little 30 is much better than it should be. In fact, I'm in the process of selling my Zeiss 24, because, although it is a fantastic lens, I prefer the focal length and size of the Sigma, so I'm barely using the Zeiss. If I need speed and OSS, I can always just switch to my Sony 50.

OP, I would recommend shooting your Nikon 35 at f2.8 for a while to see if you're ok with that aperture.

I have been thinking of trying out the sigma 30 due to its size and reputation of its iq on the forums butI have the zeiss already! Not sure about the 30mm focal length really working for me yet but it does seem like a good walk around focal length but ofcourse the 24mm can do that as well + more!

So my question is, what were the deciding factors for u to probably abandon the 24? Are there any iq differences between the 2 that might have persuaded u otherwise if not for the preferred focal length?

I prefer the focal length of the 30, as well as the size/weight. As far as IQ, they're both very good. The Sigma may be a little sharper at like aperture, but the Zeiss opens up more. As for bokeh, the Zeiss seems a little smoother, but the Sony 50 is smoother than both. The $900 difference between the two is also pretty noticeable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow