How Canon's competition missed the mark, can we discuss this?

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stone13
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
How Canon's competition missed the mark, can we discuss this?
May 2, 2012

Everyone knows, I'm a defender of Canons most recent update to the 5DIII. I think Canon actually listened to it's userbase, i.e. people ACTUALLY shooting with their existing product and gave them what they asked for. No one was screaming for a high MP monster until the specs on the D800 were made public.

Now, the D800 is a fantastic camera for certain scenarios (there I said it), in others, it's no better and in some cases worse than the competition.

However, I purport that Nikon missed the mark with this body, for 3K, they could have gotten Sony to build them a roughly 24MP exmor sensor, and built a body that still shoots 8-9fps, with the D4 AF system, "D3X 2nd coming" high ISO performance and their new video implementation. This is a camera that would have surely made Canon a bit nervous, and had many, many more shooters contemplating a switch. It would have been a REAL choice between two stellar performing bodies that would compete directly, with the Nikon offering greater performance at a much cheaper price. Instead, they went for the slow, ultra high MP crown which will only be temporary and really doesn't benefit a great many shooters. The high DR is a strong selling point, but I don't see any Nikon landscapers dumping their filters due the great DR, they needed them pre-D800 and they still need them. I've also yet to see anything worthy of selling to a customer with 5+ stops of shadows being pushed, those shots while possible are still more than likely headed to the recycle bin.

So honestly, did the competition miss the mark? If the latest Nikon offered the specs I mentioned above at $500 cheaper, it might have just been enough to get me on the bandwagon, instead, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Yes I know this post references Nikon, but anyone who's read anything I've posted in this regard knows this is legit......

So what do you think?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow