A77 what focus area setting do you use?

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
rothwells
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 what focus area setting do you use?
In reply to zackiedawg, May 2, 2012

I always run in AF-C and almost never in AF-S becuase I'm usually shooting my kids who, of course, never stay still.

I'm also a little disapointed in the follow focus. After getting the camera to focus on my kid on the diving board, then shooting at 12fps, I notice it is not tracking focus when my daughter leaps forward off the board into the pool. the focus is staying put and, therefore, she's out of focus when she comes forward.

Did you make sure to switch the focus mode from AF-S or AF-A to AF-C? This is required for the focus system to properly track not just side to side movement from focus point to focus point, but also fore and aft motion where the distance is changing. Also, you need to be sure the focus has properly acquired the right subject in your shot - if the focus confirm squares are lit up elsewhere, or you haven't actually picked out the subject for follow focus, then when the subject moves, the focus won't.

-- hide signature --
 rothwells's gear list:rothwells's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow