Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
breamer
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
Heart says X-Pro1, head says OM-D - small essay
May 3, 2012

I'm writing this as much to help clear my thoughts as to putting it out there for others in my situation. I'm in the market for a new small camera system. I currently have a 5DII and GF-1. When I first got the GF-1, I shot with it a lot. I carried it with me when I dropped the kids to school every day and on family outings. I got many photos I was happy with. But after a while, the GF-1 failed to inspire me to pick it up and shoot with it. I missed having a nice viewfinder and the dynamic range was limiting. Noise was not great after ISO800 and little things like the shutter sound began to put me off.

So I patiently waited for a suitable replacement to come along. And come along they did in the form of the X-Pro1 and OM-D. I've now spent hours reading forums and professional reviews of these cameras.

Every time I see images from the X-Pro1, taken by people who know how to use the camera, I feel like there is a bit of magic going on. I love how the subject of focus can appear so sharp and well defined against a nice fall off to out of focus areas. And I love the colours I'm seeing. I suspect this all has to do with the lack of AA filter, the nice lenses and the Fuji colour rendering. But I'm worried about AF and the potential impediment it creates to capturing fleeting moments.

On the other hand the OM-D has some features that are really compelling to me - a great lens range, a tilting LCD screen, touch screen focus. I know these things will help me make better pictures, more able to capture expressions on my kid's faces as they for example are walking to class and see their school friends. Plus they also have a beautiful Leica 25/1.4 (50mm eqv).

So I have a dilemma. My heart says X-pro1 and my head says OM-D. As an Engineer I'm used to following my head, analysing data, making rational decisions. As I experience life more I realise that following your heart will ultimately lead to a more fulfilled life.

If you made it this far, then thanks for listening! I'm going to sleep on it tonight but any comments are welcome!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow