Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brent Lossing
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,674
Like?
Re: to my eyes...
In reply to olyflyer, May 2, 2012

olyflyer wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Olyflyer you are absolutely right when it comes to poverty, but my approach is that often people can be happy in their relative situation. Also knowing and accepting your shortcomings will give you a better sense of how to survive and that's not only often seen in some cultures, it seems also part of the human system how to handle it's circumstances. Anyway thanks for your idea about my comment

Actually, while they may look happy, I bet you they would be even happier if they had better conditions... Umbrella or no umbrella, it has nothing to do with it. Children, even in the richer part of the world like to play under the rain without umbrellas, at least here in Sweden.

There are several things they have better than I have in Minnesota, USA. The family all works together to help each other out - graduated kids help those who have not graduated, parents are taken care of by their children, etc. The public transportation is a lot better and a lot cheaper. The food tends to be a lot fresher and last processed. The work is harder but overall the lives "seem" less complicated and scheduled. There are fewer fat people (I am fat). Kids tend to obey their parents and teachers better. There are fewer people incarcerated. Overall the people seem happier.

Also I stated it was my Father's house, he is actually my Father in law.

I came back from this trip wondering a lot if our culture is "better" just cause we have more things. This is not to downplay poverty, which is very real. But there are spiritual, community and moral poverty dimensions one might consider as well.

Thanks for trying to keep the conversation civil and away from name calling.

brent

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow