5D2 rather than 5D3?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Picturenaut
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D2 rather than 5D3?
In reply to AF744, May 2, 2012

Alain, I exactly struggled with the same question and have now ordered a 5D3. My workhorse is a 7D because I am quite into wildlife tele photog (amateur). I also appreciate its longer reach when I do street sniping of people with a 300/4 or a 70-200/2.8. So I still will use my 7D as a high resolution crop camera in future...

I wanted an FF body mainly for two purposes: available light shooting of people in dark environments plus more DoF for landscape shooting. The latter is a shortcome of the 7D because of its small pixels diffraction limits its optimum aperture to f = 6.3 and with a really sharp prime you do see pictures getting gradually softer with f > = 8 (those who'll use a Nikon D800 with about the same pixel size for landscaping will discover the same effect).

So only for landscaping I'd have been really happy with a 5D2, it still delivers a nice IQ and a much better high ISO performance than a 7D. But playing around with a 5D2 of a friend showed me again that I do not like its sluggish response - it's simply a slow camera if you are used to a 7D. Plus, I wanted a good AF system, and 5D2's AF system tends to fail in particular in darker environments. Then you miss the millisecond of a face expression that you wanted to catch. A 5D2 would sometimes really annoy me in such situations - but I want to enjoy photography!

So finally I came to the conclusion that a 5D3 with its advanced AF system should serve me as a perfect FF allrounder for some years. A 5D2 I'd surely upgrade pretty soon. So, now I can't await getting my 5D3 to play around with.

Good luck with your decision!

-- hide signature --

Picturenaut

Picturenaut's gear list:Picturenaut's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow