D800 or Olympus OM-D??

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 or Olympus OM-D??
In reply to Vette76, May 2, 2012

Vette76 wrote:

My D800 is my tripod camera, my GH2 is my travel and "hang around my neck" camera. I love 'em both. I guess I'm bi-cameral. (and my S95) is in my pocket!

This is the way to go. I wouldn't consider a m43 as my only camera, but for some users, and as small carry anywhere cameras, an m43 with a 20 1.7 pancake makes sense. With any of the m43 cameras, from the files I've downloaded, you won't get the IQ of an APS-C camera like a Fuji X100, XPro1 or K-5/D7000, but it might get you 75% of the way there.

Having used the best m43s cameras quite a bit, I am a bit shocked to see users canceling D800E orders for a m43 camera, but everybody has different needs.

Regarding size/weight, having owned a 5D Mk II, the D800 seems lighter and considerably bulky. The D800/50 1.8G combo is not at all a heavy brick like some pro-level DSLRs with built-in portrait grips. And I like using my tripod as much as possible, so weight really becomes less of an issue.

Flash photography with the Nikon's CLS is where the D800 (or any mid-level Nikon DSLR) has a huge advantage over any of the m43 systems. That's why I'd probably prefer even the new D3200 (or a D5100 replacement) as a small walk-around camera.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow