Upgrade DSLR

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade DSLR
In reply to Bjorn_L, May 2, 2012

Please do not mislead others.

The Pentax K-5 is the best APS-C DSLR every made (to date), with it's senor only bested by the recently released Pentax K-01 (which improved upon same senor.

The K-5 has been proven to best the 5DII in IQ, from Dynamic Range to ISO handling.

If you want the best APS-C available, in the smallest, most compact package, and professional weather sealing (which, ignorants will claim the D7000 and 7D have as well, but the issue is in the lenses that also have sealing - name me a

Also, everyone that has personally handled all 3 cameras will attest to the K-5's far superior ergonomics (unmatched anywhere).

The only drawback is possibly the lens selection. If you are looking for EXTREME telephoto, Pentax is not for you - yet, as the announced 560mm f/5.6 hasn't been released yet (however projected this summer). Also, the AF system is admittedly a LITTLE (others will exaggerate, but LITTLE is key word) less responsive than the D7000s, so while I have seen some AMAZING sport photos, it isn't the recommend choice.

But if you aren't looking for super long or sports, your best choice is the Pentax K-5. Hands down.

-Heie

Bjorn_L wrote:

BILLY 0F THE NORTH wrote:

-- hide signature --

Am I getting as good noise reduction, resolution, on overall photo quality with the Olympus as I would get with a higher grade DSLR?
Bill Romer

No.

The d7000 is currently the best APS-C camera on the sensor level. With similar lens quality it will out perform your older Oly. The newer E-M5 is probably closer, but I would be shocked if it was as good (given the smaller sensor).

The Canon equivalent to the d7000 is the Canon 7d. A very nice camera. Which of these two is right for you depends on a lot of stuff. Mostly your own preferences.

What is your lens budget and your goals?

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow