Basketball Lens issues

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Scampi1965
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Re: Not enough
In reply to ARShutterbug, May 2, 2012

I absolutely do not have an issue with the 70-200. I am just looking at my options. I was not very clear in my first post but if you look at my reply to BAK I am a tad more informative (as i should have been in the first place).

Shooting from the baseline, under the basket or charges down the side of the court mean I do not need the zoom for the most part. Having used 50mm on a cropped sensor before and found that sufficient, the 85mm made sense and therefore also means I am not lugging the 3kg lens around. Photographic agility has a lot going for it if you can have it!

Another body? I wish

So one body and one lens for the job means I am making choices between the various activities. So the outcome (at this stage) for my lens collection is as follows

70-300L 2.8 IS USM for sailing and soccer
85 f1.8 for indoor sport/activities
17-40L for landscapes
24-105L general purpose main lens to carry around
EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM - macro, portraits etc

Still not sure if I can do without the 85 and use the 100mm macro for the basketball!

Thanks for all the input

Iain

ARShutterbug wrote:

What's your problem with the 70-200? You don't seem to have one, except to say that it will kill you, which doesn't make sense. It can drain wallets, though, due to its premium price tag.

What are you using for your wide-angle lens? You should have two camera bodies. One camera should have a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom, and the other should have a 16-35 f/2.8 or 24-70 f/2.8. You should also consider a 16-35 f/2.8 lens if you need something wider. If you want longer telephoto for the indoor basketball and other outdoor sports, you should be considering a 300 f/2.8 or longer lens.

-- hide signature --

As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters be kind to you.

Scampi1965's gear list:Scampi1965's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow