Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,179
Like?
Re: When the newness wears off
In reply to John Bean (UK), May 2, 2012

John Bean (UK) wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

The Sigma 19, in my limited use, definitely seems as or more sharp than my Heliar, but, as you say, two different focal lengths.

Interesting. In all the full-size examples I've looked at the Sigma 19 seems to lack the micro-contrast I see in the Heliar, flattening the textures. I don't really look for "sharpness" (in the sense of high-contrast edges) as long as it is "good enough" but I do like lenses that render low-contrast textures well, as the Heliar certainly does.

That said the Heliar is much better on the C3 than the NEX-5 so the Sigma would probably do well in the comparison on the older camera, but I can live with the Heliar's performance on my NEX-5 for the time being, it's by no means bad.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

You could be right about the Sigma 19's micro-contrast. I haven't used a lot, yet. It does seem to have sharper edges, and much less vignetting, even on the 5N. I still need to use ColorShift with the Heliar on the 5N, too. I'm actually going to sell the Heliar soon, because I'm ok with a 19mm as my wide.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow