What Nikkors have most 3D pop (microcontrast)?

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,425
Like?
Re: CLARIFICATION of 3D Pop and Microcontrast
In reply to Press Correspondent, May 2, 2012

Press Correspondent wrote:

The only disagreement we have is terminology. What I refer to as "microcontrast" you for some reason call "global contrast" and what I refer to as "resolution" you call "microcontrast". Unless you can provide a popular reference to the definitions you use, you may be confused by the "micro" prefix in "microcontrast" that is normally defined at 5 to 10 lp/mm. With this clarification, everything you said is essentially the same as in my post (including the high microcontrast - NOT resolution - of 200/f2 and 17-35).

There are many references to lens contrast and they indeed may be confusing and contradictory. As an example, this is the one most commonly cited:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/lens-contrast.shtml

"Contrast" in photo paper, for instance, or in a finished image, refers to overall (sometimes called "global") contrast, meaning how the materials distribute tonal gradation from black to white or lightest to darkest. When we talk about lens contrast, we are not talking about that quality. What we're talking about is the ability of the lens to differentiate between smaller and smaller details of more and more nearly similar tonal value. This is also referred to as "microcontrast." ... typically 10 lp/mm, sometimes 5 will have the highest correlation to visible lens contrast.

Learned something today. Thank you

Of these two lens, which do you perceive to have greater microcontrast characteristics and please explain how you come to that conclusion. No PP applied. Thank you for your time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow