Nikon D7000 overexposure is very real.

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ZorSy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,940Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7000 overexposure is very real.
In reply to sudhirraom, May 2, 2012

Though in my previous replies I somewhat "defended" you by criticizing Nikon MM system from marketing-design point of view, you will have some decisions to make.

D7000 is a very capable camera feature-wise compared to D5100, which shares the same sensor. In essence, reading more about Nikon MM would help you understand it is heavily linked to the focus points, which in this case is the very basic difference between the two bodies you compare and on this particular shot. And this shot is an perfect example of a high contrast scene, which dynamic range (expressed in EVs) is exceeding the technological limitations photography gear has to deal with, compared to normal human vision. In that example, the logic in camera had to decide what to "sacrifice" as the whole scene could not fit inside available "space". The choices were numerous and a very small factors determine what would result in final choice: without too much guessing and even more analysis of your default camera settings (and that would involve a lot of default "auto" settings, like contrast, dynamic lighting, hue, wb...to name a few) all had an impact on the final result. D7K obviously recognised more active AF points (even when using a single AF for actual AF, other AF points are active in MM) and gave more weight to the house, which incidentally happened to be very dark). D5100, with less AF points to start with, chose more "somehwereinbetween" (something you like more "as is") but obviously employed more of its AUTO settings, which included more tone mapping at the resulting image. Nevertheless, this does not imply D5100 is "better" -for this particular shot it happened it works better.

As a photographer, blinking highlights should mean you have to take it over at that stage, making the final decision what you want to achieve. Some would bracket 3 shots and later do excessive HDR PP (for what's the shot worth in their opinion), some would expose the sky and recover shadows in NEF development or do tone mapping on JPEG. Some would expose to RGB histogram, knowing how much they can pull back from NEF to minimize the noise in shadows - you see how this gets "complicated" on many levels as it involves one big thing: THE FINAL RESULT. That's what camera doesn't and can't know. And that, for you, the photographer, should be the starting point.

At this point you have to decide where you go: the two cameras you have in your hands will work with you (D7K) and for you (d5100) as they target slightly different group of users. You can, should you wish, make D7K work for you by making some changes (like CWM instead of MM, locking few features to setting recommended by other people here - do a search) and master the beast (until EV button markings disappear) or being lazy and chose less steep approach thinking D5100 will do it for you (it won't completely, you will still have to learn).

I can only hope this will help you with your decision - BUT your camera is fine, nothing is wrong or broken. What needs to be check and adjusted are your expectations and I doubt Nikon will be able to help you with: the easiest way to do this is to learn and practice. With digital, it all looks more "complicated" than with film - not quite, somebody was sweating his @ss developing your film photos trying to mask mistakes done at the time you pressed the shutter button.....welcome to the digital world where photographing is only a part of the journey...yes, you need to learn post processing too (sorry if I broke the bad news)
cheers

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow