Is it easier to clean the sensor in newer cameras?

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
newpictaker
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Is it easier to clean the sensor in newer cameras?
May 2, 2012

I was thinking of buying an older D50, but then I read this:

Users of fixed-lens digicams will eventually discover another problem, keeping the imager clean. It's a problem with all interchangeable lens digital SLR cameras, and not specific to the D50. No matter how careful you are when changing lenses there's always the chance of dirt or other contaminants getting onto the imager's low-pass filter. You know you have this problem when you start seeing little dark spots in your photos, most noticeably in the large areas of blue sky in outdoor scenics shot at small apertures. Nikon Capture 4 software ($99 optional purchase), has a feature that removes the effects of dust on the Image Sensor from NEF (RAW) images by comparing them with a previously captured reference image. But sooner or later the camera will require a trip to a Nikon service center for a thorough cleaning.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/nikon/d50-slr/nikon-d50-slr-review-18.html

I don't know that I want a camera that can get dirty like that and have to be sent in. Are newer cameras less susceptible to this? Does anyone know which model or what year this started getting better?

Thanks.

newpictaker's gear list:newpictaker's gear list
Canon EOS 20D
Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow